Saturday, July 24, 2010

Weekend Worship, Who Are You Following?

Commit your way to the Lord, trust in Him and He will do this. Psalm 37:5, NIV

Last summer a group of us drove to the beach. We took several cars and, although I’d never been to that particular beach, I took my car. Things were a little crazy when we left and after we got on the road I realized I hadn’t gotten written directions. I knew the friend I followed could get us there, no problem, but it still made me a little nervous. I was careful to keep her car constantly in sight and stay alert to any signs that she planned to change direction. I’m a bit of a control freak and this was hard for me. I had to rely on her to get me safely to the place we’d stay.

While I groused about not knowing where I was going, it hit me that my life with God is like that. As believers, we know our ultimate destination is heaven. But just like my trip to the beach, I must follow God closely to stay on the right path. I have to stay alert, follow closely and not get separated.

This is hard for me in a lot of ways, but especially when it comes to my writing career. When I started this path, I had a very clear picture of what my life as a writer would look like. I knew the things I’d be doing, the things I’d concentrate on and how it would lead me to my version of success. Very little of that has happened. I have become a full time writer, but my path has been very different from what I’d imagined and infinitely better!

As I’ve learned to relinquish control to God, He’s taken me down paths I hadn’t dared dream about. I’m here to say I’m not the one in control, God is, and I’ve learned to trust that He knows the best way to get where we’re going.

It does us no good to get ahead of God, only He knows the correct path for each of us.
Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your story, again! I'm trying to follow close behind God right now. The path isn't easy. But in the end, I hope I've stayed on His path.

    ReplyDelete