Saturday, January 8, 2011

Weekend Worship—The Writer's Obsession

The Writer's Obsession
by Edie Melson

I write because I must.
A spark jumps, something begs be shared.
A time of silence, without words,
Icy darkness.
Then the flame flickers and the words pour forth.
Divine inspiration on paper.
As I write I touch the One who wrote the world into existence.
A God of words, Creator on High.
I am made in His image.
My soul communes with the divine when the words pour forth.
I write to touch others, I write to touch myself.
The thoughts inside beg to be expressed.
Sometimes they fall like lead, heavy thuds, without an echo.
At times they are like feathers, lightly floating out of reach.
Then there are times when they fall like water, pouring forth, satisfying
A worth of their own.
The drops become a river, inviting others to drink.
They take life and speak

I write because I must.
Painful times, when the words don’t come
The icy silence of the an empty page
Glorious times when the words flow with grace, sweeping across the pages,
Answering divine echoes within my soul.
Words are my craft, they are my blood, poured out.
Meter, rhyme, cadence, rhythm.
The words take on a life of their own

I write because I must.
My soul longs for expression.
I want to touch others the way I’ve been touched.
Reaching out, offering hope and comfort.
Never reaching down, because I’m never above
Let the words flow
A writer’s soul is deep.
The thoughts have roots
Sharing is painful, a nakedness of self exposed.
Vulnerable, shy,
Driven.
The words express who I am and who I want to be.
My words are my becoming.

12 comments:

  1. Edie, I just love your poetry! I know you said you've written poetry for years, but we're blessed that you've begun to share it with us! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A glimpse at yet another beautiful side of your creative spirit, Edie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! Thanks for exposing my soul.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edie, As I read your words, I felt as though my heart was laid bare before you and you listened to its cry which yearned to be heard. Thank you for sharing YOUR heart with us and capturing the emotions stirring within me. That was powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful poem and treatise on writers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Edie - what more can I say? You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edie, this is beautiful---inspirational and thought provoking.
    Hugs and Blessings
    Katt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Edie, that is awesome. I read and re-read it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say I'm gratified and surprised everyone liked it so much. Poetry is waaaaay out of my comfort zone. Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I set aside reading blog posts for a short season and am now continuing to catch up on posts I missed at that time. I LOVE THIS, EDIE!!! What a wonderful poem that so perfectly touches the being of a writer and why we do what we do! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete