Friday, October 19, 2012

Life Lessons—Killing Time, A Dangerous Pursuit


by Reba J Hoffman
Life was slower when I was growing up
I grew up in a slower time. Summers seem to stretch on forever. My friends and I would go down to the creek on a lazy Sunday afternoon. We’d skip rocks across the water, swing from a rope, splash into the deep end, and dry off in the sunshine while gazing at clouds. When I got home and was asked what I’d been doing, my answer was always, “killing time.”
Today is a much different world. I have gray hair and a few extra pounds. I’d injure myself if I swung on that rope and there is absolutely not a single second to, ummm, “kill”.
With every passing day I’m reminded of what a gift life is and how my days are numbered. Even if I live to be a hundred, I’m on the down slope. When I was young, I really thought life was forever. I was invincible. Immortal. Today I know that I’m not even guaranteed tomorrow.
Being faced with that truth, I learned a few things I’d like to share:
Life is not a dress rehearsal!
  • You must live while life is with you. You never know when you’ll draw your last breath. At that point, it’s too late.
  • You’re not in a dress rehearsal. This is your one shot at life. Spend it wisely.
  • Pursue your dreams. When you do that, you will have a life with no regrets.
  • Never neglect saying “I love you” to those you care about. Don’t let a conversation end without them knowing how you feel. That could be your last chance.
  •  Forgive. Harboring ill feelings against anyone—regardless of the wrong—kills your time, not theirs. It’s not worth holding a grudge.
  • Laugh at yourself. You’re really hysterically funny if you take the time to watch the comedy of errors you have in life. And, laughter does good like a medicine.
  • Take time to reflect. You’ve come a long way and it’s been a terrific journey. The joy is in the journey, not the destination.
  • Decide to be happy. Yes, it’s a choice. You are in complete control of whether or not you will be happy. Not circumstance.
  • Let go. You’ll not get where you want to go if you don’t let go of where you are. Release it and grab hold of your dream.
  • Have a plan. Let’s face it. With very limited number of days, hours and minutes, would you really want to spend them wandering around without a clear direction?

During the days I have left on this earth, I plan to spend them helping as many people as possible live their dreams. Do you know what you’ll do?

What will you do tomorrow? Share it here.

Reba J. Hoffman is the founder and president of Magellan Life Coaching (www.magellanlifecoaching.com). She holds a Ph.D. in Clinical Counseling and is a natural encourager. She serves as Member Care Coach for My Book Therapy and is the author of Dare to Dream, A Writer’s Journal. You can connect with Reba through her motivational blog, Finding True North, or by email at reba@magellanlifecoaching.com. You can also follow her on Twitter at @RebaJHoffman.

7 comments:

  1. Excellent reminders about what is most important. What will I do tomorrow? I'll spend the day with my wonderful husband. As long as we're together, it'll be a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who has lost three siblings before they turned 50, I have experienced the brevity of life firsthand. "Teach us to number our days," says the Psalmist, "that we may gain a heart of wisdom." I think you have gained that heart of wisdom, Reba. God bless you for sharing that with us today. Lori, from Be Not Weary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reminder about priorities. Tomorrow is "fix-her-up" Saturday. We moved recently and our house is several years old. There are always lots of small things that need to be done. My hubby and I will putter around getting some things done. And, most important, we'll watch football!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having company Sunday then again Thursday so tomorrow I'm cleaning like a buzz saw. Thank goodness I have big company 2 times a year, or my house would never get cleaned. lol

    I'll also get in a couple of good hours writing! Great post, Reba.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Reba! I'll spend tomorrow getting the rest of the content for the magazine I edit turned in for layout. We pub a magazine for kids by kids, so I'll be doing one of the things I enjoy most - getting young writers published! Once that's done, I hope to relax with my sweet hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As one who'll soon be applying for Social Security, I'm so with you about not wasting time. I have so much left to do, and so little time to do it!

    I can't forget that whatever doesn't get done...written...said...posted...dies with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this reminder to live fully, Reba.

    ReplyDelete