Tuesday, August 2, 2016

While My Child is Away—Praying For Our Kids Isn’t Always Easy

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson




Today I’m deviating from the norm. I’m not posting specifically about writing, but about what led me to write my latest book, While My Child is Away, Prayers for When We’re Apart.

I've discovered that God uses the things I struggle with to bring comfort to others. It's not always an easy thing—sharing challenges—but I've learned by being transparent I disappear and God's power comes shining through. 

Prayer Doesn’t Always Come Easy
In spite of the fact that I now write books of prayers, praying didn’t always come easy to me. Early on my lack of prayer power didn’t bother me. It wasn’t until I began having children that the urgency hit. Then my prayer life became vitally important. I wanted to be the type of mom who prayed powerful prayers that protected her children no matter what happened.

I worried that my prayers weren’t good enough. Maybe I hadn’t spent enough time on thanksgiving or confession. Or perhaps I was saying things in the wrong order. Truthfully I was looking for a formula that would infuse my prayers with power enough to get God’s undivided attention on my child’s behalf.

Turns out that what I believed about my role in prayer was all backwards.

I was looking for power in my words, instead of focusing on the power of God. And I was forgetting that each of us has God’s undivided attention—always. He loves each of us, and more importantly to me, He loves each of my children even more than I do.

Even when I discovered the mistake in my thinking about prayer, I still wasn’t quite sure how to frame my prayers. Then I revisited one of my favorite passages in the Bible. So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:11. That was what I needed to redirect my prayer life and get me on the right track.

That journey became While My Child is Away.

As you know, I rarely use this blog for any kind of direct promotion. I want to make sure that almost all the things I post fall under the heading of information. 

But today I'm breaking my rule and asking for your help. This Saturday, August 6, I'm having a big book signing at our local Barnes and Noble on Woodruff Road in the Shops at Greenridge. I'll be signing copies of While My Child is Away.

I need your help with sharing this information on social media. 

If you're near the Greenville, South Carolina area, I'd love for you to join me! Even if you're not, don't despair, I'm including you in the fun. To all those who comment on this post, telling me they shared this on social media, I'll add you to a drawing. I will cut off the comments on Friday, August 5 at midnight.

To sweeten the pot, I'm giving away a 2 $15 Barnes and Noble e-giftcards and 2 $15 Amazon e-giftcards. So there will be 4 winners in all.

Be sure to share this info through your social media and leave a comment saying you did. You don't have to leave a link or anything, we work on the honor system here!

Thanks & Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLES

WhileMy Child is Away, learning the hard lesson of #prayer - @EdieMelson (Click toTweet)


16 comments:

  1. Shared. I love the books you write on prayer. I will use them when I teach or speak. (not a bribe to win);)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Edie. Congrats on the book release this week. Hopefully I'll see you Saturday. I've shared this on Twitter and FB.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could be there and I do wish you mush success with the book signing. I like to take Bible verses and insert names of those I pray for and in that way I know that I am praying what God says. Thanks for sharing all your prayers to encourage us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did share the post on Facebook and Twitter but forgot to add that. Thanks again for your encouragement and giving away your heart with these prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning. In 1998, Wayne Watson wrote and sang "Come Home." My knees buckle when I hear:

    I sleep better knowing everybody's home
    And everybody's alright
    Just one of those things that happen
    When you care so much
    And you pray to keep from worryin'
    Then you worry you ain't prayin' enough.

    All the best at your signing and as the news of this book spreads far and wide. I'll share your event news.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. I put this on Facebook and Pinterest. I hope it's a great launch. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edie, I shared your post on FB & Twitter. Congrats on your book. I know many will be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mine are all "away" and it's the hardest thing i've ever lived through in my life. if there's any way i can be there saturday i will with bells on, but i'm putting out A.P.S. (all points share! hahahah) blessings, Edie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shared on Twitter and Facebok. Would love to attend the signing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your latest book Edie! I shared it on FB and Twitter - hope you get lots of visitors at your signing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your book. I live in Indiana, so I can't get there for the party. I have shared about it on Twitter and will post it on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't come but I shared it also on Twitter and Facebook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so excited about this new book and so wish I could be there to join the grand celebration dear friend! I love it (and you)....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your book release. I live in northern Indiana and won't be able to make it. Good luck. I have posted on Facebook and Google Plus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to recommend your book to my daughter who is about to send her second child off to college in two weeks.

    Both our daughters are in their 40s, but I still pray, and hope it's enough, every day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations to these winners: the 2 Barnes and Noble e-giftcards: Ellen Andersen and Loraine Nunely; the 2 Amazon e-giftcards: Robin Mason and Robert Frohlich. Please contact me through email and I'll send them your way: ediegmelson (at) gmail (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete