Saturday, January 28, 2017

The Refinement of Publishing Patience

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

We all need it and we all abhor it.

God has used patience to refine my writing in ways I never thought possible. That process of waiting hasn't just given me time to learn how to write, it's also given me time to grow into the stresses and stimulation of writing as a chosen profession. It's been incredibly painful and a blessing beyond belief as I've watched my hopes and dreams begin to come to fruition. 

How has God used patience to answer the cry of your heart?

Teach us. O Lord, the disciplines of patience, for to wait is often harder than to work. - Peter Marshall
Share your thoughts in the comment section below. 

I also invite you to use this image any way you like online. Post it to your blog, share it on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, anywhere you'd like. All I ask is that you keep it intact, with my website watermark visible.

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

6 comments:

  1. Last fall I found out that I needed to find a new agent. It's been a long four months. I am in conversation with an agent and I will find out on Tuesday if he will represent me.

    Thank you for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting is definitely harder 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. While waiting for God's timing, it's important to keep writing. It's interesting that the very act of waiting adds a deeper demension to your writing as well as your relationship with the Lord. He is faithful to fulfill the call. Remember Abraham, Joseph, and David. It will come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edie,

    What a great Peter Marshall quote for writers! Thank you. The dreams and desires of our heart are in God's hands. As writers, we need to learn our craft and keep moving ahead, seizing the opportunities (large or small) that come our way.

    Terry
    Straight Talk From The Editor, 18 Keys To A Rejection-Proof Submission

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because starter college majors, romances, jobs, cars, homes, marriages, & even manuscripts can be facts of life for any of us along the road to our dreams. Even our dreams can become larger along the as we move along our path. The longer I live the more I realize Gods dream for me was bigger than mine and impatience can be my enemy. Grandmas cooking from scratch took longer, but was always worth the wait. M-m-m. M-m-m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hardest lesson in patience came early when I rushed a revision suggested by the first agent who requested my full ms. She recommended three storyline revisions. Two I saw clearly. The third I just couldn't wrap my head around because I was too close to the story, but I was excited and eager to get the ms back to her, so I revised the best I could. Sure enough, her reply email had two "good jobs" and one "not good enough." After that I let the ms sit for a while. When I returned with a fresh mind, the hole the agent saw was suddenly clearly visible to me (as in "well-duh!" visible). But I had been too excited--too impatient--to give my brain the time it needed, and I blew my shot with a top literary agent. Lesson learned, although that doesn't mean I've mastered patience. But reflecting on this epic fail has helped me slow down many times since.

    ReplyDelete